5 Anime Characters Full Of Hope

I believe we can find inspiration in anime, and use it to help push us forward in our own lives. If you have any questions, or thought of a different character that should be on this list, please share below. I only wanted to cover five so as not to be overwhelming.

#5 – Himura Kenshin -Rurouni Kenshin

Kenshin_HimuraKenshin comes to mind as soon as I think of an anime character looking for purpose in their life. If you’re not familiar with the story, Kenshin was a hired assassin back in the Meiji era during a war in Japan. Since the war has ended he becomes a wanderer, along with most of those who survived the battles and live only to kill. Even though he trained to be a killer, he decides to reconcile for all the lives he has taken and desires only to protect those he can.

This isn’t an easy task for him, since even the scars on his face are permanent reminders of his past. He struggles at times with memories of those who died by his hand or while fighting old enemies who constantly remind him of what he used to be, similar to what Satan likes to do to us (Zechariah 3:1).

Yet even through the pain, Kenshin is always seen with a smile on his face and willing to help out in any way he can.

His purpose is found in lending his years of training, abilities and speed to those in need, just as Christ has taught us to live (Matthew 5:9).

Matthew 5:9
9 God blesses those who work for peace,
    for they will be called the children of God.

#4 – Vash the Stampede –Trigun

Vash-TrigunVash comes from another world and isn’t even human. Add to that the fact that he lives much longer than anyone else. He is another wanderer, similar to Kenshin in that he goes around helping those in need wherever he finds himself.

At one point he has to kill his enemy, or the enemy will kill his friends. He pulls the trigger and breaks down in fear, sadness, and confusion as to why he had to take a life. After thinking about his past, the reason why he is fighting and who he has to defeat to end his suffering, he pulls himself together. Leaving with a smile and a promise to come back safely, Vash looks to resolve what he should have done years ago.

This reminds me of the verse where God reminds us not to look to the past, but look to the future. He has a purpose and a hope for each of us.(Jeremiah 29:11)

Jeremiah 30:17
17 I will give you back your health
and heal your wounds,” says the Lord.
“For you are called an outcast—
‘Jerusalem for whom no one cares.’”

#3 – Kirito –Sword Art Online

Apariencia_Kirito_SAO_(2)Of course, if you’re thinking about characters full of purpose and hope, you can’t forget Kirito. I can take so much from this character, and one of those traits is hope. He always seems to find himself in situations that others call impossible, yet he believes he can overcome them. From freeing himself from a game where his very life is in danger, to rescuing the love of his life, he’s always on a new adventure.

We all have obstacles in life we need to face. Regardless of what they are, our hope is in Christ and we need to look to Him for help, guidance, and strength to not only get through them but to help others out as well.

1 Peter 1:21
21 Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And you have placed your faith and hope in God because he raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory.

#2 – Sora –Kaleido Star

11492751757966

Kaleido Star isn’t an anime that gets much press, even though it is pretty old. Sora is the main character. She is an acrobat performer for Kaleido Star, the circus of dreams (imagine an anime Cirque Du Soleil). When she arrives there to fulfill her dream of being a star attraction, she realizes very quickly that there’s a lot of hard work, pressure from more experienced performers and tons of drama. On many occasions this makes her feel that this wasn’t what she wanted.

Sora imagined that everything and everyone in Kaleido Star would be full of joy, but instead she saw a lot of competition and not very friendly people. She decided to be the hope for the audience and it was evident throughout her shows. Whether she was passing out food, dressed up in an embarrassing outfit or doing a task that didn’t have much significance, she was happy to be there.

Her determination to not give up in spite of where she was, or what was going on, shows us how God desires us to have peace, joy, and live in righteousness regardless of where we live, issues we are facing, or situations we are in.

Romans 15:13
13 I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

#1 – Tomoya from Clannad

Tomoya_okazaki_thumbs_upThe number one anime character that I found was full of hope was Tomoya. Now, the story of Clannad is a little odd. It’s extremely depressing because (SPOILERS) he loses his wife after she gives birth to their daughter. Later on he realizes it was a dream and his wife is truly alive (his daughter also dies but again, shown as a dream). (END OF SPOILERS)

The grief that he went through at first after they were gone is palpable. Then you see how much hope and love he has for his wife and daughter through how grateful he is to have had them in his life. Even though he is only beginning to learn what it is to be a father and husband, he does his best to see that they have a future together, with a home full of happiness.

The hope that Tomoya has that everything will turn out okay, even when they fall on hard times, displays the verse in Deuteronomy where God gives us the choice of life or death, blessings or curses. Tomoya chose a life of blessing, because he fought hard for his wife to be okay and dedicated his life to making sure his family is taken care of, and we see how he was blessed because of his actions:

Deuteronomy 30:15-16
15 “Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between life and death, between prosperity and disaster. 16 For I command you this day to love the Lord your God and to keep his commands, decrees, and regulations by walking in his ways. If you do this, you will live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you and the land you are about to enter and occupy.
What did you think of this post? Any anime characters that I missed (I’m sure I did)? Let me know which was your favorite, and which you related to the most! God bless, thanks for reading.

Michael M.

Michael is a child of God, husband, teacher, business owner, anime lover and a life long gamer. When not conquering distant world's via console, he can be found reading, watching anime or Netflix, writing, or just enjoying life as a geek in the city of Miami. He aspires to travel to Japan and possibly...never leave.

1. Chase on April 26, 2015 at 8:38 pm

So glad Tomoya made #1!

2. FlyinBryan on April 3, 2015 at 12:18 am

I’ve thought about this and I think of Melfina from Outlaw Star being a hopeful character.

• Michael M. on May 21, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Yes! Outlaw Star is a great anime and she’s a good character to mention. I forgot about her, thanks!

3. Kirahkitty on January 5, 2015 at 3:11 am

I love the fact that you put Tomoya as number one, Clannad has such a dear place in my heart i have to say i have never cried so much because of an anime, The relationship between Tomoya and his Friends are amazing especially him a Nagisa, This anime has made me look at my life in such a different way and reminds me to count my blessings.

4. Eric Jeter on December 19, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Great article! Thumbs up!

5. questdrivencollie on October 13, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Out of the anime I’ve watched thus far, I might say Madoka Kaname from Madoka Magica. She’s a kind girl who cares deeply for her friends, and in the end sacrifices herself in order to save them and the world. “Greater love have no man than this…”

6. Ben on October 8, 2014 at 11:15 pm

totally agree with this list. But seriously Naruto needs to get a mention here. That kid is faced with some pretty dark situations yet actively decides to laugh in the face of it and be almost a manifestation of hope for every person he meets. And then his solution to end the cycle of pain in the world is to actually carry the burden himself so others can be free to know true hope.

• Michael M. on October 9, 2014 at 1:39 am

I agree 100% about Naruto, but to be honest, I’m not a Naruto fan 🙁 I have watched a LOT of episodes, manga, etc. and I know plenty about it, and follow the manga as it is at the moment but he’s just not my fav. Honestly, I don’t like Naruto, he’s annoying….but yes, he IS full of hope and would count as an anime character full of hope.

• questdrivencollie on October 13, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Also agree with this.
      Naruto isn’t my favorite series, but it’s my current fandom. I began watching the anime earlier this year, and I found Naruto’s determination to never give up encouraging and inspiring.

7. Kendawg on October 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I’d add Ed Elric to the list. He’s easily one of the most hopeful characters I could name, Anime or otherwise. He’s stubbornly unyielding to a fault when it comes to protecting those he cares about and pushing forward with his dream to return Alphonse to his body. He rarely thinks of himself, and never once mentions restoring his own lost limbs–it’s always Al that’s reminding him that he has himself to think of. Even though he’s lost so much, he has an optimism about him that inspires others around him to keep pressing on even in the darkest times.

• Michael M. on October 8, 2014 at 10:11 pm

He’s a great character, didn’t think of him. I wanted to stick with only 5 because anime is so full of hopeful characters, but Eric is a great character. Thanks for the recommendation 🙂

• questdrivencollie on October 13, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Agreed. I’ve also seen some people who say that FMA helped them with depression. When I finished the series, I felt encouraged.

• Michael M. on October 13, 2014 at 11:13 pm

That’s encouraging to know that an anime has helped someone out emotionally, thank God.

8. Dustin on October 7, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I couldn’t agree more with #1 being Tomoya from Clannad. He is, in my opinion, the embodiment of hope in terms of anime characters. No matter how hard he gets knocked down, he will eventually get back up (even if it takes years). Clannad, ~After Story~ specifically, is all about the truth that some people experience in life. It is probably the most relate-able anime due to that. I guess that is why it was originally going to be called “Life.”

• Michael M. on October 7, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Thanks Dustin! Glad to see a Clannad fan. It’s one of my fav. anime’s ever. Made me cry, never had an anime move me so emotionally (not just the cry, but in general). He’s really full of hope, because of his hope his wife/daughter came back. THough I thought that part was a little odd, did you understand the whole thing with the robot and the girl? It went over my head…

• Dustin on October 8, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Clannad is an anime I think every person who watches anime should watch. It is one of those anime where it will open you up to so many more diverse categories. As for the other world, there are two explanations: the show one and the game one.

(CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ SPOILERS)

I will not explain the game one because it was only explained in such a way to have the game make sense why you can start a “new game.”

As for the show theory, essentially each world is completely linked to each other (think of a parallel universe). When one does one thing, it alters the other. The reason why Nagisa and Tomoya were able to know the story/play was because of the illusionary girl (Ushio). What happens is that any time someone reaches true happiness, an orb of light appears by them. The orbs of light are known as despair in the other world for each orb of light means an orb of light someone doesn’t have in the real world (which means they don’t have true happiness). Now, if you were wondering about the origins of the illusionary girl, we will need to look towards some given in the show and game: the people there. One thing that is shown in the show and game is that the Robot is Tomoya and the girl is Ushio. Now, how did they get there? The thing hinted in the show but directly stated in the game is that the Illusionary World is essentially a very specific after-life. Certain people are chosen to go to an alternate dimension if conditions are met. Ushio went to the Illusionary World out of regret of leaving Tomoya sad and alone. In this alternate dimension, she can manipulate it how she likes, but one effect was that she forgot why she was there. She wanted to make things better, but she couldn’t remember why. It wasn’t until the last moment (her last breath) that reminded her of the real world. Her last breath in the winter reminded her of what happened to her in the real world, thus she was able to remember what to do. The reason why Tomoya was there was because he was directly related to everything. Ushio went to this Illusionary World because of Tomoya, thus Tomoya was linked to it.

(END CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ SPOILERS)

Overall, this is just my theory on what truly happened, but I could be wrong. I did some research, and that is the best I can explain of the Illusionary World. The game explains it differently, but, again, that is because it was to make sense of the “new game” functionality.

• Michael M. on October 9, 2014 at 1:34 am

Wow ok! That makes sense. Though in a way, the one full of hope then was also Ushio…makes sense. To be honest, I don’t think Clannad needed all that parallel universe thrown in, but I think that’s a Japanese culture thing.. ah well, thanks for explaining it though, I appreciate it

• Dustin on October 10, 2014 at 4:41 am

It isn’t a Japanese culture thing really. It was a way to prevent a super depressing ending. There are a few themes towards Clannad, but the biggest one is family (whoever you make part of your family). Tomoya’s family was every single person he helped on the way and interacted with often. With him often helping people, it was to show that good things happen to one who do good. It was mainly to express the hopeful ones are the ones truly good, and they will be treated with good.