Top 10 Anime Openings

I am a big anime fan since I was much younger. All throughout high school and college (more then than now) I have watched literally hundreds of episodes of anime. Thus, I have seen dozens upon dozens of anime openings/endings (going to do an ending post also, depending on the feedback from this one) so I can give you a pretty good overview of the top anime openings.

I chose these openings on a few different criteria. I went to a very popular anime music site to find out the rankings of the best anime-related songs/music. Then, I had to see if the opening was well done and popular as well. Finally, I ordered them from my least favorite to most favorite.

#10 Slayers Next – Megumi Hayashibara (Give A Reason)

Slayers is one of my all time favorite animes. I loved finding ways to relate to the characters. I need to write an entire post on the show because of the impact it’s had on my anime viewing over the years.

The opening, though, is pretty lack luster. It doesn’t display anything interesting except for quick shots of the characters and their foes. This is a typical anime opening and it doesn’t even flow well with the music, so I had to push it back to number ten. Sorry Lina-san.

#9 Air Gear – Chain (Back On)

The song for Air Gear is super catchy. So much so I listen to it on my own playlists. Yet, in the visual aspect of the opening, there were so many parts where the song could have flowed with the animation. It seems like they weren’t really trying, and it’s actually a pretty boring opening compared to its cool song that helps give the anime some flair.

#8 One Piece – Brand New World (D-51)

I have watched every single episode and read the manga of this anime. They change their openings and endings constantly. It has some of the most watched openings in anime history. But it clocks in at number eight, because of the lack of substance in the scenes. There are parts just thrown in there that don’t flow at all, and none of the animation is originally drawn just for the opening. I love the song, and there are parts that go well with it, but overall I’ve seen better.

#7 Fullmetal Alchemist – Ready, steady go! (L’arc en ciel)

Okay, I will probably get some flack from this one. A good chunk of the video is just Ed and Al running or playing around. At the end, we finally see some of the season’s villains. It doesn’t give any clues as to what might be going on, which is the purpose of the opening. Great song by a great band, but the opening didn’t give it the justice it deserved.

#6 Sword Art Online – Crossing Field (Lisa)

Now we are getting into some good stuff. In this opening we see lots of original animation and plot hints throughout, while the main characters are fighting against impossible odds. The colors and combination of 3D are high quality and creative, while the song goes well with each scene. This intro gave us a good look into what to expect before watching SAO.

#5 Naruto: Shippuuden – nobodyknows+ (Hero’s Come Back!!)

Many Naruto fans will say this is the best opening for the entire series, and I would have to agree. It’s a very creative and fun opening to watch that will have you hooked. I love the style that the animators went with. The gritty black and white images give us an underground feel, while the Akatsuki seem mysterious and terrifying. My favorite part is where Naruto, Sakura and Kakashi attack the screen when a word is pronounced.

#4 Cowboy Bebop – The Seatbelts/Yoko Kanno (Tank!)

Cowboy Bebop‘s opening has been revered as one of the catchiest and coolest openings in all of anime. It has a cult following, and it pulls you in right from the beginning. You get the noir vibe from it, and the jazzy track flows with the shadows of the characters walking all over the screen. If you’ve never watched Cowboy Bebop, you will want to after watching this.

#3 Evangelion –  Yoko Takahashi (Cruel Angel Thesis)

One of the most controversial animes (especially as Christians) also has one of the most peculiar openings. It flashes symbolism and phrases throughout that relate to the anime, but if you’ve never watched it you’ll have no clue what your seeing.

The song goes with every image of the opening with scenes from key moments in the series. There are lots of visuals here and focus on the main characters, giving us an idea that this will be a pretty dramatic show to watch and it is. The song by Yoko Takahashi is also one of the most popular anime themes in history, just saying.

#2 Ghost in the Shell – Inner Universe (Origa)

What can I say about Ghost in the Shell’s beautiful intro? When I first watched it, I was excited to see 3D animation done for the entire minute and a half. Now, you may watch this and think “those graphics look pretty lame”. But if you watched this when it was first released, your mind would have been blown. This is not something seen often in anime, so I have to rank it number two as my personal favorite. Let’s not forget that the track sounds very ominous and goes perfectly with the setting and themes of Ghost in the Shell.

#1 Bleach – UVERworld (D-tecnoLife)

*Drum roll please!* We have arrived to my number one favorite anime opening! Bleach is one of my most watched animes, and to me this was its best song and opening. I did enjoy the first one by Orange Range called “Asterisk”, but I didn’t want to include two openings for the same anime.

UVERworld is another track widely thought of as one of the best used in an anime, and the opening shows off some great scenes. All the animation is only seen in the opening, and it has nice fight scenes between the main characters and the Captains. After watching, you know what’s going to happen in this season. The song goes amazing with it too, pumping you up throughout every scene and going with each strike and change of scenery.

Let me know in the comments which was your favorite! Also, which openings did you think deserved a spot on my list and why? God bless!

Michael M.

Michael is a child of God, husband, teacher, business owner, anime lover and a life long gamer. When not conquering distant world's via console, he can be found reading, watching anime or Netflix, writing, or just enjoying life as a geek in the city of Miami. He aspires to travel to Japan and possibly...never leave.

1. dundy on May 22, 2015 at 12:34 am

The opening to Tiger and Bunny is one of my favorites!

I think this video is mirrored though…

2. John Canary on April 20, 2015 at 7:38 pm

2 of your videos have been removed. 🙁

Also, Digimon (Season 1) had a great theme. In english.

3. Sarah K. on April 20, 2015 at 12:08 am

Gurren Lagann Opening Theme!! I’m assuming it was not included because of Yoko’s skimpy outfit. Lol.

4. questdrivencollie on October 13, 2014 at 5:16 pm

One of my favorites is the first Soul Eater opening. The music is exciting, and the animation matches, really gets you excited.

• Michael M. on October 13, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I have to rewatch it, I never got into Soul Eater…too many anime, not enough life to watch them all 🙁

On top of playing all the video games I want to play. I’m more of a gamer than otaku

5. Charlie on October 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm

If you think some of these openings don’t really mix the animation and music together well then why did you put them up on this list? Just curious.

• Michael M. on October 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hi Charlie, thanks for the comment. Some of them I put because the song itself was amazing, but the video didn’t match super well. In every top 10 list, you have to items that are “ok” but not the “best”! The best is of course, #1, though I personally enjoyed every single one of these openings.

None of them were “bad” per say, they are all good.

6. BlackAceZero777 on October 11, 2014 at 5:27 am

Dude, as another huge fan of Anime, I have to say Bleach’s first opening was the best…..I know it doesn’t have anything to do with the show in general, but it fits…..You know?

I see you have Inner Universe! Great choice!!!!

Also have you seen what I believe is the fifth opening of One Piece?

• Michael M. on October 13, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Thanks BlackAce for the comment! Yeah, Inner Universe is awesome, the other song Rise is a good one too but the intro was…meh.

To be honest, I love MOST of the One Piece openings, the songs match so well it’s amazing. I could have done the “Top 10 One Piece openings” since they have so many 🙂

Bleach’s first opening, like I mentioned above, is great, I love the song. The intro I thought was pretty boring, because it doesn’t show a whole lot of the anime itself, just everyone standing around….doing graffiti?

• BlackAceZero777 on October 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

To be honest, and I mean this in a very literal way, I think Bleach’s first opening was like that because two things: 1. Not to spoil anything. Since the series is very long, I think noting should be spoiled and should be followed by each episode because it is alot to Bleach’s lore. 2. To show the beauty of Bleach. There is two things I always remember when I watch Bleach, it was my very first TV-14 anime I got heavily into and how beautiful it looked. I think it isn’t try to be on par with something like One Piece which follows what they do in each story arc. Bleach’s openings are more about the beauty and darkness of Bleach because at times it can be beautiful with it’s work, then it can go to dark places…

7. Ohems on October 10, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Where is Pokémon season 1 opening? D:

• Michael M. on October 10, 2014 at 11:49 pm

That’s a great one. I know the lyrics by heart and even had the song on my MP3 player years ago. Honestly, I stuck with Japanese openings only, I didn’t mention that in the article, but yeah, I want to do a “best of” English openings. Any recommendations? Was thinking Pokemon, Sailor Moon, DBZ….

• Ohems on October 11, 2014 at 8:10 am

Okay that’s fair enough. I was just wondering why you left such a legendary opening out. I suspected that you limited the category somehow but couldn’t find a mention of it. I haven’t seen so many anime openings that I could give recommendations though. 🙂

8. Charles on October 10, 2014 at 3:55 pm

You mixed some old school in there – very nice, Michael! Well, 90’s old school. Glad to see Cruel Angel’s Thesis and Tank! in there, among others!

• Michael M. on October 10, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Thanks my friend! I appreciate your comment, always a blessing. Yeah, I’m an oldie so I had to have some old stuff in there. To be honest, I have to catch up with newer anime’s, cause I’m from the 90s anime 🙂

There are soooo many openings I could have put here, but I went along with Gendou’s anime music site rankings more than mine to be honest.

9. David on October 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I have to admit I have not been watching the new Amine (by “new” I mean anything after the 90’s). I haven’t seen or heard these. I’m sorry, I guess I’m old school (grew up in the 80’s). My favorite is ROBOTECH, right under would be Star Blazers. I know these are old, and most people may not know them, but they are what started Amine popularity in the U.S. and had great story lines.
    My problem is finding Anime that does not have excessive (or any) cussing/nudity in them. Any suggestions?

10. Daniel on October 10, 2014 at 2:44 am

I am really surprised that you didn’t include either of the two openings for Attack On Titan. Both of those are everything everyone wants in an opening title sequence.

Also, I felt that the 2nd op for SOA season 1 was a bit more catchy then the first, though it features a spoiler for those who haven’t seen the series…..

• Michael M. on October 10, 2014 at 9:46 am

That’s why I put the disclaimer at the top, this would be my “personal” favorite openings. I looked at the opening itself and the song too, so the opening could have been great (like AoT) but the song was TERRIBLE. I personally HATED the opening song of AoT, so annoying…I love those catchy J-Pop style songs similar to the second opening (like you mentioned) of SAO. Now that I compare the two, maybe the 2nd opening would have been a better choice than the first one.

To be honest I was being biased cause (like most SAO fans) I didn’t like the second season so I didn’t want to give it any love 🙂 I preferred the 1st season any day of the week, though I’m loving the new season of SAO.

Stupid fairies….