50 Answers Non-Christians Think Christians Don’t Have (Part 1)

This article is being written in response to a Yahoo.com article titled “50 Questions that Christians Can’t Answer” from REPuckett.

The main issue with the article are the assumptions the author makes regarding God expecting Him to think the way we think. I will do my best to answer each question in a logical and thoughtful way. My utmost respect to the original author for voicing his concerns about Christianity, but I will attempt to argue respectfully against each point he makes. These articles will be done in 5 parts, each answering 10 questions. Feel free to leave your comments below.

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”1. If God is omnipotent (all-powerful), why did he take six days to create everything? Why not speak everything into existence all at once?” expanded=”in”]The first assumption is that all-powerful is equated instantaneous or that all powerful means that God’s methodology must be equal to ours. In addition to that, why is the assumption that creating the world should have only taken a single word, why not a single thought? Is it truly hard to believe that an omnipotent God would take any time process at all? Is it easier to believe that all of creation came from matter colliding in nothing to create something? What better way could God communicate to humans who understand time and space. When He is outside of time and space. Even if God was only revealing the creation story in a term that humans could understand, it takes nothing away from His existence.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”2. Why won’t God heal amputees?”]This is another assumption based solely on individual knowledge. Do you know God doesn’t heal amputees? Have you met every amputee that God “hasn’t healed”? In fact if you were to do just a slight bit of research you could find documentation where amputees were in fact healed with new limbs. Just a quick google search will help one to find stories of miracles in which God regrew amputated limbs. “Christian propaganda?” Maybe, but why generate stories of healing amputated limbs to garner popularity for God, why not just say “God will make you rich”, oh wait, some do.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”3. If God is so perfect, then why did he create something so imperfect allowing pain, suffering and daily atrocities?”]Why not God just wipe out humans completely and start over? Because He still loves us and allows us to make our own choices. If my sons couldn’t choose to love me, can they truly love me? If there is no light, can there be a shadow? Allowing His creation the ability to choose other than Him allows for those who do choose Him to be able to do it on their own free will. If God wanted robots He would have made robots. Instead He created us in His image, with His likeness to have a relationship with us, and in order to do so, had to give the opportunity to choose to do evil.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”4. Why did the little old lady that God healed one Sunday need her walker to get around again next Sunday? Was she only temporarily worthy of a healing?”]This statement is based on a personal experience, whether from the author or from someone the author had heard about. What little old lady? You mean to tell me there are bad people who fake things and lie about stuff? ::Insert Nicholas Cage Meme “You don’t say”::[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”5. How did Noah fit the millions and millions of species of animals on this planet into his ark? It doesn’t take a mathematical genius to realize the physical impossibility of this.”]This might come to a shock for you. Christians believe in evolution. Micro-evolution. It’s completely realistic to believe that a dog comes from a dog and now we have various types of dogs today due to years and years of breeding. So if Noah took 2 puppies onto the ark, how much space would they take up? 2 baby giraffes? Same question. Have you read the specifications of the ark and how large it was, how many levels it had? Fitting 2 baby animals of a specific “kind” on a boat the size of 1.5 football fields. Read this link for more info.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”6. If Noah did fit all of these species on the ark for forty days and forty nights, how did the penguins make it from Mt. Ararat to the Antarctic? How did the koala bears make it to Australia with no eucalyptus to eat along the way?”]If God was able to bring all the animals to Noah why couldn’t he disperse them the the same miraculous way? Many scientists believe in land bridges that led from one continent to another. There is also the theory of Pangaea where all the continents were at one point connected. That is possible, why is the instant migration of animals not?[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”7. Why do innocent children have to suffer with terminal diseases such as cancer? What part of ‘God’s plan’ is this exactly?”]The author first makes the assumption that anyone is innocent. However even if they were innocent, the answer to this question is the same as the pain and suffering question. The world is fallen, left to his own devices man will do some pretty crazy and evil things. The repercussions of human sin is that there is evil in the world.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”8. How is it that the bible explains the earth to be 6,000 to 8,000 years old when we know that dinosaur bones are at least 65 million years old? This isn’t the only example of our planet’s age by any means, either.”]Another assumption made here is that our dating methods are accurate. Science is about observation. Who was able to observe anything in the “millions of years ago” time frame? Yes we have modern technology now, but no accurate record of any way of recording time. Therefore the assumption is that those fossils are in fact “65 millions years old”.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”9. Why can’t the all-powerful God forgive someone of their sins after they die?”]Why did God create man with the ability to sin? Because He did and that’s what He chose to do. We suppose that God has to abide by our rules, which could not be the case as we are His creation. What I do know is that God gives ample opportunity for people to be be forgiven of their sin.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

[toggles behavior=”accordion”]
[toggle title=”10. God wants everyone to worship and follow him and, if they don’t, they burn in hell for all eternity. What does this type of attitude say about his character? By definition, he would be described as a tyrant.”]By our definition this would make Him a tyrant, and the assumption here is that God wants us to worship and follow Him. God actually wants us to have a relationship with Him, He wants to come into communion with us. Just as a father knows best for His children, wouldn’t our creator know best for us? This logic is again, personal to the author.[/toggle]
[/toggles]

Drew Koehler

Founder and writer for Geeks Under Grace. Christian, Husband, Father, Sailor and Geek!

1. Lhmac on September 26, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I wanted to read this old article, but the link is dead, so I have no idea what the questions are, as you haven’t listed them.

2. YoungMinister on August 5, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I like what you are doing here with your attempt to answer the skeptic question. I do believe that Bible reference would be best where possible. Christian should not be offended when man in their wisdom seek to discredit the glory and power of God because humanity is evil. We should seek to encourage one another as you are attempting to do her. Kudos.

3. Kat on June 24, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Why don’t any of these answers site Bible verses or credible websites? Not that i don’t agree with some of these answers, but siting your sources, (like the amputee answer), is very important.

• Daniel on July 12, 2014 at 3:36 am

Exactly my thought… There are some really good answers that could benefit from a couple of Bible verse so why not just put it in there? I mean, if the article is about teaching us Christians how to respond to non-christian people, then Bible verses are the only weapon we have that they can’t ignore because it’s not what we “think we know”, it’s what’s written in there and what matters the most to all of us.

• Drew Koehler on July 27, 2014 at 6:16 pm

If you all would like to take the time and go more in depth with the answers by all means feel at complete liberty to do so. Otherwise I will say that you can’t please everyone and instead of complaining about my article you are free to add to it on your own or go write your own article. God Bless you!

4. Lari B on June 23, 2014 at 3:05 pm

#10
    Do you invite someone who hates you into your home for dinner? Do you invite someone who wants nothing to do with you to move in with you? Revelation states that the earth will be destroyed with fire, so where do people who don’t want to spend eternity with God expect to be located? For me, it’s is more a question of why would we expect God to force us into an eternal state of worship and communion with Him when we are created as intelligent beings with free will. And, because I’m apparently feeling snarky right now, why do we spend so much of our time demanding our “rights” and arguing that we can make our own decisions about things without following”outdated” rules then feel we have the right to complain that God didn’t either stop us or change us. You can’t have it both ways.

5. Matt on June 22, 2014 at 12:55 am

I like this article. But I respectfully disagree with your answer to #9, specifically to the last line, “What I do know is that God gives ample opportunity for people to be be forgiven of their sin.” This makes it sound like people are not already forgiven of their sin, which is false. Jesus has forgiven everyone of their sins, whether they’re a Christian or not. Those who aren’t saved need to choose to accept that forgiveness. When we stand before God, what He’ll be looking for is whether we accepted His grace & forgiveness, not *if* He’s forgiven us. That being said, I thought the rest of your answers were very good & I look forward to the next installments!

• Drew Koehler on June 22, 2014 at 7:58 am

Thanks Matt for your reply but I do disagree with you. Yes Jesus died for the sins of everyone but that is not inclusive of those who don’t recognize their sin and repent from it. If you believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead and confess with your mouth you will be saved. The opportunity is available to all but Jesus did not get rid if sin when He died on the cross. He bridges a gap between man and God.

• Michael on July 29, 2014 at 5:52 am

John 3:5 “…except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” You can accept Jesus as your Lord and savior, but that still won’t get you to heaven.

• Rob M. on July 30, 2014 at 2:07 am

Michael:

Not really sure what point you’re trying to make. Drew simply described the “formula” (if you can call it that) laid out in Scripture for salvation. Romans 10:9 – “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” I don’t know how that can be any more clear, and I don’t see how that doesn’t line up with the concept of being born again. Was Jesus not talking to an Israelite man when He made the statement you are quoting? Didn’t the Israelites believe that they were set for heaven because they were of the seed of Abraham? Then no wonder Jesus had to point out to them that being born again was a necessity, and doesn’t that scripture from Romans show us how to be born again–through confession and true, heartfelt (not just head knowledge) belief in Jesus as the Lord and Savior? Unless you’re trying to advocate for the idea that baptism is necessary for salvation, to which I’ll simply say that it’s been explained to me that the “born of water” is referring to the natural birth (don’t we say a woman’s “water has broken” when she goes into labor?).

I just don’t get the point of your comment, because no one denied that being born again was necessary, nor that being born again happens through the Holy Spirit. The reference Drew made was 100% scriptural, as I have shown you.

6. Joe on June 22, 2014 at 12:03 am

Hey Drew,

I am encouraged by your article firstly but even more I am encouraged that others are open to these questions rather than closed off with pre-determined answers.

Ive been a Christian just over 3 years now and BC (Before Christ) I always argued that there must be somthing above humanity – we are just too restricted and limited as an entire race.

For me personally, someone who had accepted many things over my life that are no longer a part of me now – to answer any question I asked to anyone about God, I was directed to The Word and to prayer.

For anyone reading this article and then perhaps my post then know this – humans are imperfect..all of us. BUT … and I love how there is always a BUT with God – In Gods breath inspired word from the book of Matthew in chapter 6 and versus 25 to 34, this passage has and continues to help me rest in God and not on my own understanding.

Thanks for reading guys 🙂

7. Joseph on June 22, 2014 at 12:02 am

Hey Drew,

For me personally, someone who had accepted many things over me life that are no longer a part of me now – to answer any question I asked to anyone about God, I was directed to The Word and to prayer.

For anyone reading this article and then perhaps my post then know this – humans are imperfect..all of us. BUT … and I love how there is always a BUT with God – In Gods breath inspired word from the book of Matthew in chapter 6 and versus 25 to 34 has and continues to help me rest in God and not on my own understanding. Particularly in verse 33 ” Seek first his kingdom and righteousness, and all of these things will be given to you.” This is encaptulating the complete and total freedom that is found in Jesus!

Thanks for reading guys 🙂

8. Trung on June 21, 2014 at 5:32 am

May I again (sorry) enquire a further elaboration on point 5 and 8 (posted at the bottom for convenience)

The question of 5 and 8 seems to be focused on the scientific accuracy of the bible (Noah’s boat and Earth’s age), of which is answered with different degrees of scientific acknowledgement (One agrees on micro-evolution and the book f “Noah’s Ark, a feasibility study” and the other disagrees ( I assume, since there is an emphasize on the methods being an assumption) on the aging methods of science), if this is the case, how should a christian reconcile science and the bible? What is the parameter of a christian agreeing with one set of scientific theories, laws and practices, and the dismissal of other (I know it’s subjective, but surely there must some general guideline).

Question 5: If Noah did fit all of these species on the ark for forty days and forty nights, how did the penguins make it from Mt. Ararat to the Antarctic? How did the koala bears make it to Australia with no eucalyptus to eat along the way?
    Answer: This might come to a shock for you. Christians believe in evolution. Micro-evolution. It’s completely realistic to believe that a dog comes from a dog and now we have various types of dogs today due to years and years of breeding. So if Noah took 2 puppies onto the ark, how much space would they take up? 2 baby giraffes? Same question. Have you read the specifications of the ark and how large it was, how many levels it had? Fitting 2 baby animals of a specific “kind” on a boat the size of 1.5 football fields. Read this link for more info.

Question 8:How is it that the bible explains the earth to be 6,000 to 8,000 years old when we know that dinosaur bones are at least 65 million years old? This isn’t the only example of our planet’s age by any means, either.
    Answer: Another assumption made here is that our dating methods are accurate. Science is about observation. Who was able to observe anything in the “millions of years ago” time frame? Yes we have modern technology now, but no accurate record of any way of recording time. Therefore the assumption is that those fossils are in fact “65 millions years old”.

9. Trung on June 21, 2014 at 5:16 am

May I enquire a further elaboration on point 2 and 4 (posted at the bottom for convenience)

My struggle with points 2 and 4: It seems the author dismisses the entire premises of the question, which is fine, however, (and correct me if I’m mistaken), the question seems to convey a valid point of the inconsistency of healing, of which could extend to the following question, How should a christian reconcile the successful instances of healing (unexplained recovery from coma, diseases) with “unsuccessful” (however you may define it).

Question 2: Why won’t God heal amputees
    Answer: This is another assumption based solely on individual knowledge. Do you know God doesn’t heal amputees? Have you met every amputee that God “hasn’t healed”? In fact if you were to do just a slight bit of research you could find documentation where amputees were in fact healed with new limbs. Just a quick google search will help one to find stories of miracles in which God regrew amputated limbs. “Christian propaganda?” Maybe, but why generate stories of healing amputated limbs to garner popularity for God, why not just say “God will make you rich”, oh wait, some do.

Question 4: Why did the little old lady that God healed one Sunday need her walker to get around again next Sunday? Was she only temporarily worthy of a healing?
    Answer: This statement is based on a personal experience, whether from the author or from someone the author had heard about. What little old lady? You mean to tell me there are bad people who fake things and lie about stuff? ::Insert Nicholas Cage Meme “You don’t say”::

10. Thomas on June 17, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I appreciate your passion at fighting for the cause.

That said, I’m not quite sold on these answers. #2 doesn’t make any sense. Is your implication that God does heal amputees and there is a massive cover up to hide it?

Even as a Christian myself, I felt that the answer to #7 was too broad. If this is intended to counter a non-believer’s question, it will likely just confuse them.

I agree that short responses can often be the most effective, but they need substance. Even something clichéd like this: “Our sin opened injury, disease, and death into our world; God offers us a new life free from this, if we choose to take it.”

I look forward to reading future answers.

11. Chuckleluck on June 17, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I really liked your answers to why God allows sin. As someone once put (I believe it was Spurgeon): “Everyone eventually gets what they want – total communion with God or total separation.” If everyone went to heaven, it would be a great disservice to the atheists who spent their whole life avoiding it.

• Cody on August 2, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Just something I want to add, Non-Christians go to hell because we are made in God’s image, so to be separated from what we are an image of is torturous for us. Catholics may believe in purgatory, but that is still not a complete separation from God.

12. Nathan on June 17, 2014 at 8:25 pm

As much as I love that you guys are addressing this issue, it pains me to see so many incomplete and unsatisfactory answers. Take #4 for example, you didn’t even answer the question. You sorta say “This is a personal question, and the answer is obviously that bad things happen.” Without explaining that deduction at all. Wouldn’t a more appropriate response be “Just because God heals someone once doesn’t mean they can’t be sick or injured again. That’s like saying being healed from sickness one week won’t leave you bedridden the next week due to another illness.” More could be added to that, too. Try, please, to talk to the skeptic and not give an answer that simply passes muster, like answers 7-9. To be honest, I’ve only read the first 10 questions as I can’t find the next 40 within the confines of my phone, but out of these 10 I am afraid for the rest of the article. If they can’t convince a skeptical Christian, how can they ever be enough for a skeptical non-Christian? Thank you for taking the time to read my input, I hope it is useful to somebody.

• Drew Koehler on June 17, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I’m sorry that you don’t agree but the fact is that short and simple answers are sometimes the most understood. I’m not an apologist and I’m not going to go into depth on each question. If the short and simple doesn’t make enough sense than a long drawn out one won’t either. The other 40 questions have not been answered yet.

• Nathan on June 17, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I can see where you’re coming from. These last few months I have been looking hard into apologetics so that is probably why these answers aren’t quite what I was expecting. I agree that a short and simple answer should do the job, and at that you’re doing some good work. I may not agree with all of the answers you give, but I think that is just down to differences in opinions. After reading through the Yahoo article myself, I can see how such differences can arise from such a biased and misinformed author. I look forward to reading the rest of your articles to see what ideas on theology you use to answer his questions. Cheers!

• Timothy Lim on June 18, 2014 at 7:36 am

I can also see where you’re coming from, Nathan, and that’s what’s going through my head too. Thanks for your input and honest opinion. I second yours.

• Funsized98 on July 27, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I feel that the author means well, but these responses seem designed to satisfy the Christian but not the skeptic. Similar to the ridiculous Pascal’s Wager argument-It seems perfect for Christians who may be struggling and are a quick fix for doubts, but for the skeptic, it’s simply a faulty argument.

While I’m not saying write a novel, I would appreciate a bit more depth in future posts!!

13. Jkabob on June 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm

For #8, it’s also possible that God created an aged earth just as He created an aged Adam and Eve