Destiny Beta Characters Are Forever Gone

destiny-beta-contemplative

As I finished reading a recent blog post from Bungie, I fought with mixed feelings. We all pretty well knew our Beta characters would be done away with, but to hear it confirmed is conflicting.

With a few exceptions, Beta characters are typically wiped after the test in complete. We’re allowed to get in, tool around, and explore the world a bit. With a game like Destiny, though, we also have characters we’ve put some time into and taken ownership of. I hate to see my Guardians released into the Void, but it stings even more to see that pair of rare level 10 gauntlets I was going to rock out released as well.

I feel like Bungie didn’t really have a choice here, though. As I mentioned in my Beta Impressions, there are strong rumors that we will be level capped at 20. If we’d been allowed to keep our Beta characters, most folks probably would be capped out within 6-10 hours of the full game releasing. When I think of Destiny, I’m continually plagued by that thought.

What do you think? Are you sad to see your Beta characters go? Are you happy to wave them off as they sail into oblivion? Could you care less? Let us know!

Joe Morgan

Gamer, software developer, dog lover. When he's not writing for GeeksUnderGrace or CrossConsoleGamers, you can find him streaming at Twitch.tv/JoeKnowethGames

1. Baranocte on August 11, 2014 at 1:34 am

I feel a bit sad, I liked my hunter and warlock and this means I’ll lose this awesome rifle that I found 🙁 but looking forward to the actual game.

So as far as the level cap goes the way they’ve explained is like this:
    you know how in MMORPGs you have different skills that you have to level up on and often times it’s your attack and defense skill level that combine to add up to your character level? It works the same in Destiny. The level 20 cap is basically for one of your abilities, basically just what weapons you can wield. So at level 20 everyone can wield every weapon in the game.
    In addition you also have your “light” level and your skill levels like for your super. I don’t know if there is a cap for these. Then your resulting character level is some sort of aggregate of all these. So the level 29 wizard they showed off basically reached the lvl 20 cap but with much higher light levels and other skill levels.

You kinda have to read between the lines from this developer commentary but here’s the video that explains it:

• Joe Morgan on August 11, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Oh, quite interesting. Thanks for linking this, Baranocte! I hadn’t heard about the light levels. That’s exciting!

2. Shadrach on August 11, 2014 at 12:54 am

Hey no problem. You play on the ps4?

• Joe Morgan on August 11, 2014 at 1:28 am

Yes sir, I’ll actually be on both.

PSN: MilitisSanctus
      Xbox: Militis Sanctus

• Shadrach on August 11, 2014 at 3:13 am

Awesome, my psn is shadrach901 I’ll add you

3. Shadrach on August 10, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I was a little disappointed but I realized i had prepared myself before it ever happened. When my alpha character didn’t transfer to the beta I knew my beta characters were toast. But looking forward I’m preparing for the full game.

Check out https://geeksundergrace.com/forums/topic/geeks-under-grace-clan-in-the-destiny-beta/#post-3884. Thread for the discussion on making a geeks unders grce clan

• Joe Morgan on August 10, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Ooh, I really like the idea of a GUG clan! I’ll check it out for sure! Thanks for pointing me to it!

4. Vayder on August 10, 2014 at 12:38 pm

It was a Beta. I didn’t expect my character to carry over so it doesn’t matter to me. As far as the lvl cap goes…Bungie has put out a video showing what it’s like to have a lvl 29 character. Why would they do that if the cap is 20 ? Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

• Joe Morgan on August 10, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I hope all the rumors are wrong. 20 seems like a fairly low bar to me.

5. Michael M. on August 10, 2014 at 1:08 am

Yes, I am sad, yes it sucks, and wow, thank God I didn’t put that many hours into it. I capped at level 8 with my Hunter character, but that was it. The beta ended shortly after. IF all we can get to is level 20, that really sucks….going to be a short game. I hope they just don’t flood it with DLC to make up for the fact that it’s a short game.

• Joe Morgan on August 10, 2014 at 6:53 am

Totally agree! I’m hoping the end product is as strong as the Beta. We’ll know in less than a month now!