Halo 5 Guardians is Going to Make Fans Angry

I just spent the latter half of my day playing Halo 5 Guardians Multiplayer Beta on Xbox One. I was invited into the beta early because I am an Xbox Dashboard preview user.

I fired up Halo 5 and jumped right into a 4 v 4 Slayer match and that is when I stopped playing all I know as Halo. Sure all of the Halo familiarities are there. The look and feel for the most part is what we have all come to love about Halo, even the reboots. The problem is that this game plays like a combination of Halo and Call of Duty with a little bit of Titanfall mixed in. If Halo 5 is anything like a Halo game in the franchise, it would be most similar to Halo: Reach.

All weapons have ADS (Aiming Down Sights). You have a sprint function that all players also have, and a strange dash/boost feature that uses the “B” button. The dash function isn’t intuitive at all and is actually quite hard to master. If you just press the dash button you will either dash to the right or left. You can dash forward and backwards but you have make sure you are pressing the thumb stick in that direction. For those who are familiar with Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare you will understand this feature.

I found the ADS function to be annoying and unhelpful. For anyone who has devoted much time to any previous Halo game, you most likely won’t even use the ADS feature as it becomes more of a “just in case” than a necessity. The grenades are familiar and the patented shoot, shoot melee function is also in game.

Without features like jetpack in Reach, Halo 5 multiplayer will feel confusing and a strange merger of games that wasn’t really asked for. On the other hand though, Halo 5 will appeal to new Halo players who don’t have hours logged into the series. They may feel accustomed to  the Call of Duty-like functionality. This should draw some of those players to play the new Halo game, but discourage veterans.

There are only two maps currently available in i multiplayer beta: “Truth” and “Empire.” Truth is a reboot of the “Midship” map and Empire is all new. The game looks great, even for a beta build. I am looking forward to seeing how loyal Halo fans feel about the changes in Halo 5 Guardians.

To check out our first playthrough of the Empire map, click here!

Have you played Halo 5 yet? What do you think?

Drew Koehler

Founder and writer for Geeks Under Grace. Christian, Husband, Father, Sailor and Geek!

1. slaps98 on December 22, 2014 at 11:51 am

The beta is great and still feels like halo just faster then other versions. The updates are great and the aiming is good and should have been added a long time ago. The graphics are great and I don’t think that anyone is going to get angry about any of the changes or updates like someone else already said they need to change stuff or it just feels like the same thing just with better graphics.

2. Yamthief on December 22, 2014 at 8:32 am

If it ain’t broke, don’t ‘fix’ it. I’ve put a good few hours into the game and I’m still not sure if I like it yet. I’ll wait until my friends are able to join in, but at the moment I’m not even sure that I’ll be getting Halo 5. Such a shame!

3. Moulder on December 22, 2014 at 12:43 am

To whatup3
    Pay attention there’s nothing in the article about ps4
    Baby cry

4. Guy T on December 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Wrong, It isn’t ADS it simply is a scope, you move the exact same with it as well as it only have a different spread of bullets on SMG and AR, which had already been stated by 343 LOOONNNNGGGG AGO!
    This game feels like Halo grew up and you probably just suck at it and cannot evolve with the game.

• Drew Koehler on December 21, 2014 at 11:23 pm

So can you tell me how a scope is not “aiming down sights”?

5. Moulder on December 21, 2014 at 7:58 pm

To the evil within
    What are u talking about . This article has nothing to do with ps4.
    U fan boys are baby’s..

6. beans on December 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Bean a halo-head since the 1st one LAN parties and all. I feel it’s got away from the nonsense such as dual wielding, loadouts, abilities/specials and got back to what I loved. All players being on the same even playing field, where knowing the maps and holding them down matters. Obviously with a more updated feel. They have to add somethings to keep the game current, otherwise it’d feel like each install is just an over glorified DLC.

7. DudeSB on December 21, 2014 at 2:22 pm

You’re wrong. Actualy, a lot of long date Halo fans are playing Halo 5 beta right now and share his thoughs. It’s a different game, yes. But still feel as Halo. In my personal opinion, Halo 5 has more in commum with Halo than Halo 4. It’s not like Call of Duty, actualy it’s the oposite of Advanced Warfare, in AW you use the dashs to rush, go behind the enemy, in Halo 5 your abilities is to stay alive.

8. corvusmd on December 21, 2014 at 5:57 am

The only people it’s going to make mad are the fanboys on the other side of the isle. As a Halo fan since day one, this is easily the best MP.

• The Evil Within on December 21, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Lol why would this make ps4 owners mad? When I did own a 360 I never even thought of playing halo and now that I own a ps4 I still have no intention of playing it. Everywhere I see your ridiculous comments they’re always trying to incite a console war. We have The Order 1886, Bloodborne, MLB 2015, Until Dawn, R&C Reboot and Uncharted that’s coming so believe me when I say WE COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THIS GAME OR YOUR SHOOTER BOX LOL!

• Moulder on December 21, 2014 at 8:00 pm

What a baby where does it say ps4

• whatup3 on December 22, 2014 at 12:21 am

His talking about Halo Fanboys not PS4 gamers, dude read and and pay attetiion stop thinking everyones attacking playstation gamers.