Stricken With Gaming Apathy…Blargh.

meh-baby

This isn’t supposed to happen to me. I’ve been a lifelong gamer. I have a Twitch channel that has a meager following but I maintain a solid schedule. For the last couple of weeks, though, I’ve been thrown completely off my game (no pun intended).

For the last two weeks, life has been hectic. Work has picked up its pace, keeping me late more often than normal. I’ve also been training for a half marathon, which has left me with less time as my runs become longer. If all of that weren’t enough, my brother recently began college again, pursuing a degree in the same field I hold my Bachelors in, so I’ve been assisting with homework.

ninjas-you-say-meh

All of this has left me feeling…apathetic…when it comes to video games. I still look forward to sitting down in front of the TV or keyboard, but I don’t feel compelled to play anything right now. My brother and I have slowly been working through Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls on Xbox One (review forthcoming), but aside from that, I haven’t felt driven to play anything. That’s despite 400+ games between my Steam library and all of my consoles.

This might not sound like a big deal. With Destiny coming out in a week, my drive will pick back up. I’ll be pulling a 12-hour stream on the game’s launch. I just want to take some time away from it all and retreat to Netflix.

This all affects my livestreaming schedule. I’m sure this sounds minuscule, but I try to treat my livestreaming as a form of ministry. I engage my viewers, playing games and having fun, but I keep an open door on prayer requests and try to lend an ear to folks that need it, truly engaging my viewers.

This leads me to a quandary. Am I merely in a funk until my most anticipated game of the year comes out? Am I hurting a ministry opportunity by choosing to play nothing than goof around with something off the cuff?

What do you think? Should I be playing something on-air even when I’m not driven to? Have you ever experienced gaming apathy? Something more sinister than that? Please share and let us know.

Joe Morgan

Gamer, software developer, dog lover. When he's not writing for GeeksUnderGrace or CrossConsoleGamers, you can find him streaming at Twitch.tv/JoeKnowethGames

1. Josh Mors on September 3, 2014 at 1:47 am

I know what you’re going through Joe about gaming apathy. I sometimes have a lack of interesting in playing video games as well. I often find myself really bored, and wondering what to play. I’m really excited for Destiny to come out in a week, but I just hope I don’t lose interest. When it comes to any new game I get, I’ll play it for hours, and then overtime I think it’s boring or I’m uninterested.

I also post videos to my YouTube channel, and even though I have a small audience of people following me and watching my videos. I still try to at least come up with something for my YouTube channel. I want to share my gameplays and my commentaries that I make with my subscribers.

2. Chandler Hicks on September 2, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Hey Joe… I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been in the same boat multiple times. I’ve gotten gaming apathy a whole bunch. and I’m not exactly sure how to combat it, I just know that some days I feel like playing absolutely nothing, and other days I feel like playing only a few certain games. I’m definitely looking for ways to get rid of/manage this apathy, since I’m attempting to start a gaming channel myself, but I have no idea how to get around it. I’m praying that both you and I will receive guidance on how to correct our ways to remove this roadblock.

God Bless!

• Joe Morgan on September 3, 2014 at 1:04 am

I’m praying for you Chandler. I appreciate knowing there are others out there who feel the way I do! It’s not always a bad thing to step away from it for a while, but I totally get how you feel. As I mentioned, I feel like it’s a way I can minister to others, even if it’s only a place to unwind and chat a bit while I goof around.

If you get some stuff up and going, though, let me know and I’ll swing by and check it out!

3. Baranocte on September 2, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Yeah, going through a bit of that myself. I think it does have something to do with a lack of games you’re really excited about. Let’s be honest, there was a pitiful selection of new releases this summer. For me, I think I tend to get burned out playing those massive, story driven, long games as well, so I find that breaking things up with more casual games helps too.

Joe, you have an awesome stream! If nothing else, I think it’s pretty cool how your stream provides a place for us to have some fellowship with people we would’ve never have met otherwise. But I can see how it can be tiring especially if you have lots of other things going on in your life. Taking a break from it now and then is not a bad thing. That said, keep up the good work!

• Joe Morgan on September 3, 2014 at 1:00 am

Thanks Baranocte! I’m super encouraged by your kind words. I’ve been thinking and praying about it. I’ll definitely be firing the stream back up before this weekend. Maybe even tonight! I’ll have to see how this evening goes. Plan on it Thursday, at least though!

4. Dakota Dickey on September 2, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I too currently have a case of gaming apathy. The next edition of my favorite game series comes out November 21. I already have Pokemon Omega Sapphire pre-ordered. I have Pokemon X but am taking a break from it and revisiting Pokemon Soul Silver to finish catching all of the legendary pokemon. In my opinion this happens to me the days before a new release.

• Joe Morgan on September 2, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I’ve noticed the same thing! When my anticipation for something upcoming is so strong that it drowns out my drive to play anything until then. Luckily, mine comes out in a week. Hang in there Dakota!

5. Michael M. on September 2, 2014 at 10:30 am

I know not of this gaming apathy you speak of….been a gamer since I was a wee one 🙂 I do want to address your question on your streaming ministry. I do believe that if you feel that way, you need to seek your Heavenly Father in worship and prayer and ask Him what it is what He wants you to do. Wherever you go, your able to be a minister to those who need it, whether it’s on Twitch, here on this site, facebook, at your job, wherever. Let Him guide you to do what He wants you to do. Let His will be done in your life.

• Joe Morgan on September 2, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Michael, thank you for the encouragement. I’ve been thinking and praying for this very situation the last few days. It’s what led me to write the article too.

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to get back to it. Maybe not every day, but 3-4 days a week. Now I just need to figure out what to play when I stream. Haha. Come Tuesday, it’ll be Destiny.

• Michael M. on September 2, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Your welcome man, I felt to write that so I’m glad it was encouraging 🙂 Yeah man, I can’t wait for Destiny, I just pre-ordered it the other day!