Top 5 Video Game Angels

There are so many different “types” of characters created for video games, that you can spend all your life figuring out races/classes/types/styles/genders/animals etc.  I started thinking about it, and I realized that there are many angelic personalities throughout video game lore, so I decided to put together a quick top 5 list.  Now, let me start by saying this is my list, so maybe you don’t agree with the order.  Also, this is based on games that I have actually played, seen, or heard of.  I would like to see what games I missed, so please mention them in the comments below!  Thanks, and here we go…

#5 Bayonetta

First on the list are the angels from Bayonetta.  I never knew this was a game, since I saw a couple episodes of the anime only.  Now, I don’t recommend the anime because of the overtly sexual, demonic and ultra violent scenes.  I didn’t even know it was that bad until I started watching it, which prompted me to stop watching it.  Not because I “can’t” watch it but because I don’t want to fill my mind with so much vulgarity.  Plus, it’s completely blasphemous to God and the word of God.  Now, to speak on the angels, I do like the fact that they are strong and do fight, as do the angels of the bible.  They do kick a lot of butt, yet Bayonetta seems to comically take them out.  The Bible says that one angel was able to kill 10,000 enemies of the people of Israel, so I highly doubt she could take them out so easily in real life (2 Kings 19:35).

#4 Angel (Tekken)

maxresdefault

The opposite of the devil character that lives inside of Kazuya of the Tekken series, she means business.  She will eradicate the devil gene at any cost, even joining the tournament to do so.  She was first introduced in Tekken 2 to save Kazuya, believing there was still good in him (I don’t buy it, Kazuya is pure evil, keep playing Tekken!).  I really like this angel character, since it depicts the holiness and strength of real angels.  They aren’t cute looking creatures, but powerful and mighty in God’s army (Ezekiel 28:14).

#3 – Nina (Breath of Fire)

One of my favorite RPG series and game series is Breath of Fire (BoF).  During my childhood, this was one of the first games I played on SNES and brought me into the world of RPG’s. Ryu and Nina are staples in every single game, part 1-5 (possibly in 6 as well, so far Nina is confirmed).  Nina is the main heroine in every game, and she is always depicted as an angel.  Usually a princess of a city in the game from the Wing Clan (or Fae Tribe), she joins the hero in bringing back peace and harmony to the world.  She is part of a race of people with wings, though sometimes they are not considered angels, just people with wings who are usually tranquil and defending against any evil that sweeps the land.

#2 Colette (Tales of Symphonia)

Colette.Brunel.600.239769

Colette from Tales of Symphonia has a heart of gold and will sacrifice herself for her friends (and the world).  “She is the seventh successful Chosen One, a being destined to regenerate the world by ascending the Tower of Salvation as an angel, thereby saving her world, Sylvarant (source), but she loses more of her physical senses as she gains new angelic powers.  Not only is the angelic emphasized greatly in this game, but so is the church, priests and sacrificing a life for the sake of humanity.  There’s a heavy reference to Christ sacrificing His life for our sins, thus giving us eternal life in Heaven and peace and hope while we are here on Earth.

#1 Pit (aka Kid Icarus)

Pit_Kid_Icarus_Uprising

The most famous angel in gaming has to be Pit (or as I know him as Kid Icarus).  Yes, the original angel, famous for his first appearance in Kid Icarus for the NES.  In the original game (not Smash Bros.) he has to save Angel Land by finding three treasures.  We all know that NES wasn’t famous for complex stories, which sometimes is just better that way.  Here we have a strong angelic character with a good look that is positive and heroic.  Again, I enjoy the fact that he reflects some attributives of angels, but not too much.  Especially the fact that it doesn’t mention any biblical reference.  Again, this is a fictitious game, so I don’t expect it, but it would have been nice.

The following books below are two that I have personally read that have helped me understand the biblical meaning, role, ranks, and much more about angels.  They are great, shorts reads and aren’t very “preachy”, just give you the gosh darn honest facts!

Were there some angels from other games that I missed?  Please let me know below, and also what you think about real life angels!  Ever seen one, any experiences that you’ve heard about?

Michael M.

Michael is a child of God, husband, teacher, business owner, anime lover and a life long gamer. When not conquering distant world's via console, he can be found reading, watching anime or Netflix, writing, or just enjoying life as a geek in the city of Miami. He aspires to travel to Japan and possibly...never leave.

1. John Canary on March 5, 2015 at 9:34 pm

How about Tyrael? From the Diablo franchise?

• Michael M. on March 6, 2015 at 12:54 am

John, your not the only person that mentioned that one…but I had never got into Diablo, and this is my personal favorites so I couldn’t add that one…but I do agree he should be on the list.

2. Giancarlo Murguia on December 27, 2014 at 11:54 pm

i think tyrael from the Diablo series should have been on the list. He’s the arch angel of justice in the series and the coolest character you can interact with in Diablo 3

3. Michael on October 12, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I would’ve said He Who Dwells from Infamous Second Son

4. Torgo on September 15, 2014 at 12:32 am

In defense of Bayonetta, the “angels” in it aren’t actually angels, since they are former humans who commited seppuku, also when you break away their outer appearance in the game it’s pretty obvious they are more like horrific eldritch abominations than actual angels too, and the fact that they are obviously evil and want to wipe out all humanity, so you shouldn’t really think of them as being biblical angels since it’s an obvious fantasy world.
    And neither are the demons in the game portrayed as ever being good, Bayonetta is a witch yes, but the demons she summons don’t really like her, and drag her off to hell when she dies, not to mention that in Bayonetta 2 they are the enemies this time since most of the game will take place in Hell (whereas in the first game most of it took place in “Heaven”)

As for “God” in it the final boss is “God” which in reality is an gigantic evil Goddess type thing that you kill by knocking into the sun, they aren’t supposed to be taken as literal angels at all.

As for the sexual themes, meh, it’s supposedly a parody of newer action games with a lot of fanservice.

Anyways wish the guy on this article had actually played more video games since he apparently hasn’t even touched Bayonetta despite putting the angels from it on the list (And knowing absolutely nothing about them besides close mindedly briefly watching the anime.) and then giving ridiculous reasons for why he didn’t include other angels like Xenosaga being “too old and not very well known”? SERIOUSLY? is this guy even a gamer at all?
    Please get somebody who actually plays video games and can name more than five video game angels because this is pretty pathetic.

• Michael M. on September 15, 2014 at 1:24 am

Haters gonna hate.

Ok….I will quickly reply to what you said, since some things you said are untrue.

#1 – I never played the game, but I watched the entire game from start to finish (part 1) and yes, I understand that they are all demons basically, as you said, horrific monsters. BUT, the game refers to them as angels so I included them because that’s what they are called…
      #2 – Yeah, I did briefly watch the anime, but I really didn’t like it and I’m not into fanservice anime’s either.
      #3 – If you notice, I chose every one of the angels based on the fact that they are in series, as in, more than one game. Even Colette is in different “Tales Of” spin offs that are only in Japan, and she’s one of the most popular characters in the entire Tales series (Nina is in 6 BoF games, Kid Icarus is in Smash Bros. and his own games, Angel from Tekken is in almost every Tekken game, Bayonetta has two games with the angel characters, and the anime as well).
      #4 – I’ve been a gamer since I was 6 yrs. old so…I’m sure I’ve played a couple hundred games in my lifetime at least….
      #5 – It’s my list, I get to chose whose on it and who isn’t, and I could name more than 5 but it’s the “Top” angels, not the “Every Angel ever mentioned in a video game” list.

• Rob M. on September 15, 2014 at 3:57 am

I’m being “that guy” here: Xenosaga is a series–there were three games in the series.

• Michael M. on September 15, 2014 at 9:28 am

OH yeah, my bad, I was thinking XenoGears! Not XenoSaga. Wrote that too late at night 🙁 Yeah, it was three episodes with those weird names and the crazy robot chick that acts without hesitation.

Great anime too! Again, my apologies, got those two confused. *foot in mouth*

• Richard Jenkins on December 28, 2014 at 1:51 am

Hmm. The only thing I know of Bayonetta — other than what I’ve read from Torgo words — is that she’s like the female version from Dante in the original DMC. Anyway, in light of #1, I’m going to remind you of 1 Corinthians 11:13-15 “13 These people are false apostles. They are deceitful workers who disguise themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no wonder that his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. In the end they will get the punishment their wicked deeds deserve.”

Now clearly the above passage refers to Satanists among Christians, however demons are also under Satan’s rule therefore they also disguises themselves as angels of light: exactly the case in Bayonetta according to Torgo’s words. Just because the game refers to them as angels, though we definitely know otherwise, doesn’t mean they are. I just feel as that even including them in the list adds on to the deception.

Alright, that’s all I was led to say. That aside, love the list man! Totally going to look into the Breath of Fire’s and Tales of Symphonia’s angels

5. Casey Covel on August 27, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I think it’s hard to argue Pit out of the #1 spot. That being said, I’m surprised Sephiroth didn’t make it, as he’s quite literally called the “One-Winged Angel” and has his own awesome theme music. I’d say he’d be the only one who could give Pit a run for his money.

• Michael M. on August 27, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Well, I thought about him, but he’s not really an angel….so I didn’t include him though his theme is “One Winged Angel”. I at least put him in the background, but yeah, Sephiroth is no angel lol.

• silasgreen on August 29, 2014 at 11:05 am

Fallen angels count! >:D Glad to see Collete there… but she’s the only one I knew! xD However… I really would have wanted Chaos from Xenosaga to make the list! 🙂

Great article! 🙂

If I have “guardian” angels, I suspect they are weird ones. You know… the misfit angels that didn’t do so well in the angel academy, so they got saddled watching over me. (One of my friends has named my angel “Goofiel.”) I bet they eat a lot of junk food and get bored a lot. =P

• Michael M. on August 29, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Xeno Saga is an amazing oldie RPG. I didn’t do Xeno because it’s not a very well known game, and it didn’t have any sequels….but! I would love to see a post on that game, it’s a great one.

6. John on August 27, 2014 at 12:00 pm

What? No Tyrael? He’s an awesome angel!

• Michael M. on August 27, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Never heard of him…going to look him up! What game is he from?

• Nate on August 29, 2014 at 6:49 pm

He’s from the Diablo series.

• Michael M. on August 29, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Yup, that’s why, I’ve never played Diablo…I played Ultima Online, kind of similar lol