5 Christian Films You Haven’t Seen (But Should)

Christian films tend to be looked upon negatively and for good reason. While most people know about Passion of the Christ, Soul Surfer, and Fireproof, there is also many more GOOD Christian films that people miss. There is a multitude of Christian films hitting the movie theaters this year ranging from terrible (Noah), to preaching to the choir (God’s Not Dead), to wow that was really well done (Heaven is for Real). This is simply a list of five films that I enjoy and can suggest viewing without having to cringe at terrible acting, weird dialogue, or shoving the Bible down your throat through the whole film. The list is alphabetical because they are all great movies and each of them deserves to be watched at least once.

Flywheel (2003)

Almost every Christian has seen Facing The Giants, Fireproof, or Courageous. But not many people are aware of Flywheel, which is the first movie done by the Kendrick brothers who also created the aforementioned films. Flywheel is not in HD yet once you get past that, it is a solid film all around. In some areas you can tell it is their first film and at the same time it is such a joy to watch that you don’t mind. If you saw Courageous then you know of the Snake Kings scene which is quotable and hilarious. Flywheel has a scene in it that rivals the Snake Kings scene, in my opinion, and upon viewing you will laugh so hard you may need to pause the movie. After watching the Kendrick brothers later films, you may recognize an actor or two that is in Flywheel that also appears in later films. For me, this becomes a mini game while watching because I will see the wife from Facing The Giants and will say to myself “where do I know her from again?”.

Home Run (2013)

I wanted to see this film in theaters but, it was only a limited release and I was overseas at the time. I had forgotten about it but I saw it at Wal-Mart and said “oh yeah I totally wanted to see that”. So I bought it without knowing whether it was good or not. As it turns out, Home Run is a good movie. Who woulda thunk? The acting is much better than most Christian movies, which I know isn’t saying a lot but the acting here does not distract from the film. The higher production values are apparent in this movie too. I highly recommend checking it out as it deals with many real life issues in a realistic manner. Also, this is available on Netflix as of current writing.

One Nation Under God (2009) & Beware of Christians (2010)

I know I am cheating a bit here by including both documentaries. However, they really should be seen back to back. Will Bakke and friends (currently making the film Believe Me which comes out in September) travel the USA (in One Nation Under God) and Europe (in Beware of Christians) to get out of their comfort zone to see what everyone else thinks of God and Christians. Both documentaries are really eye opening and these college age kids really nail how to make a good documentary that drives home the points they want to make, without manipulating you. I love how real they get with you on a personal level. Yes, they are Christians. But no, they are not perfect. Both are available on Netflix at the time of writing and both deserve to be viewed.

The Grace Card (2011)

If you enjoy any of the Kendrick brothers films (Fireproof, Courageous) then you will enjoy The Grace Card. Honestly, this film is truly a hidden gem. Every time someone says they enjoyed a Kendrick brothers film, I immediately direct them to see this movie as well. The acting here is superb and the message is delivered in a way that it gets the point across effectively. Character development is realistic and the police scenes are the films bright spots in my opinion. Michael Joiner and Michael Higgenbottom really knock it out of the park and alone make the film worth a watch.

Unconditional (2012)

This movie was a mixed bag to me when I first saw it. I had felt like the entire time it was trying to hard to pull on my heart string (is that used correctly?). However, upon watching it a second time, I realized that Unconditional is a polished film that introduces some new elements that I have never seen in a Christian film before (see the “I Was A Dreamer” scene). Well written and well acted makes a solid Christian film that many (though it is more likely women) will enjoy. Plus, I applaud the film makers for not forcing a love story here. I half expected them to do it and they showed they can avoid falling into that cliché and still tell a great story.

What are some Christian films, that are hidden gems, that I failed to mention? Let me know in the comments!

Wesley Wood

Wesley Wood is an aspiring film director. He would love to make GOOD films to help spread God's word and help Christians grow.

1. Breahna Jordan on August 4, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I had the privilege of going to the premiere of Riot Studios “Believe Me” movie and it was amazing. Unlike any Christian film I’ve ever seen before. At the end, I felt we were left with a conversation, instead of a message being shoved down our throats. My friends and I spent a considerable amount of time after the film discussing our beliefs about the subject matter (sorry if that’s vague, but I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone).

Plus it’s funny. These guys know how to make you laugh. From the opening scene, I was hooked.

My only warning to those interested in watching the film is that in my opinion, it’s really better suited for Christians than non-Christians. So if you’re looking for a film to convert your non-believer friends, this isn’t the film to take them to. There’s no alter call or text to action. However, I strongly recommend it to all Christians, because we can all learn a little something from this film.

I can’t wait to see what’s next from Will Bakke and Riot Studios!

If you’re interested in checking out the trailer for Believe Me, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwqmnninhsY

Believe Me comes out Sept. 26

• Wesley Wood on August 5, 2014 at 11:22 am

That is really awesome! As you can tell I loved both of their previous films and actually just published an article about Believe Me here.

2. Luke on August 3, 2014 at 10:06 pm

To Save a Life is a pretty good movie for teens.

• Wesley Wood on August 4, 2014 at 2:10 am

Eh. I found it to be a mixed bag. The message was fine but overall it was only ok.

3. Casey Covel on August 3, 2014 at 4:45 pm

There’s a short film called “The Board.” It’s quite good. All of the “board members” represent parts of the Christian (will, mind, heart, memory, and so on). It’s ultimately a message about salvation. Low budget, but professionally done and well-acted. It’s worth seeing and presented originally.

• Britten on August 10, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I saw the trailer and really want to know where I can either see or buy this movie !

4. Grant Vandervalk on August 3, 2014 at 2:20 pm

You mentioned Flywheel, Facing the Giants, Fireproof , Courageous by the Kendricks, but they also released Mom’s Night Out (haven’t seen it yet, but it’s supposed to be a comedy, with heavy Christian overtones, of course).

There is of course the Left Behind series (which apparently Hollywood is trying to reboot?),

The Ten Commandments (both the old Charleston Heston film, and the newer animated one),

Joseph Prince of Dreams and The Prince of Egypt (excellent animated films),

The list goes on. A gem I did want to mention here though, is The Perfect Stranger. It’s about Jesus actually issuing a personal dinner invitation to a woman who had all but walked away from her faith. Whether you think that is realistic or not, put that aside, and think of a 100 minute conversation between yourself and Jesus. The questions asked, and other things Jesus says, is a great introduction to some general apologetics themes and theodicy in particular.

Another Perfect Stranger is also an excellent film, with the jaded daughter who rejected her mother’s conversion experience, also having a conversation with Jesus (this time on an airplane). Just as good as the first film, or even more so – depending on which questions you (or people you show the film to) need answering on a personal level.

They also made another one, The Perfect Gift, which I haven’t seen yet. I’ve just reminded myself to put that on my list of films to watch…

• Wesley Wood on August 3, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Almost every Christian has heard of the old Left Behind movies, The Ten Commandments, and The Prince of Egypt (though Joseph Prince of Dreams is not as well known).
      This list is of films most people have not heard of.
      While Alex Kendrick acted in Mom’s Night Out, that was not his 5th film. Mom’s Night Out was another David AR White film from what I understand. The Kendrick Brothers are currently working on their 5th film which still doesn’t have a title.

5. James Butler on August 3, 2014 at 3:39 am

I would recommend checking out “No Greater Love” with Anthony Quinn (from Boy Meets World) and “To Save a Life”.

6. Michael M. on August 3, 2014 at 2:58 am

Hmmm….if you haven’t seen these, they are documentaries. Finger of God, Furious Love, Father of Lights. Actually, thank you Holy Spirit, I will do a post on them if nobody has seen them/heard of them.

7. Amanda on August 3, 2014 at 2:56 am

Lord, Save Us From Your Followers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1237900/) is a thought provoking and well made documentary. I don’t know whether or not it is still available on Netflix, but I highly recommend it.

8. Joe on August 3, 2014 at 2:49 am

I’ll have to check those out, thank you! I enjoyed “What If” with Kevin Sorbo, Kristy Swanson, and John Ratzenberger. Sort of a Christian “It’s a Wonderful Life”.

9. Josh Mors on August 3, 2014 at 12:50 am

I saw The Grace Card and Unconditional. Both great movies but I’ll check out the others!

10. Jon Hill on August 3, 2014 at 12:16 am

Generally, I steer clear of Christian movies just because I end up poking fun at the acting the whole time, but I have seen The Grace Card and it really did convey powerful images of forgiveness and redemption, which we can all relate to… It was one Christian film that held my attention.

• Wesley Wood on August 3, 2014 at 12:32 am

I agree as most are terrible (Ring The Bell is a great example) which is why I made this list to show that there are some hidden gems in the mountain of mediocrity.