Really Kanye? The Book of Yeezus?

Kanye_West_at_the_2009_Tribeca_Film_Festival-2
Has Kanye West finally crossed the line?
Yesterday was Resurrection Sunday; it’s kind of a big deal for the kingdom of God. We obviously celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on this day. It’s really important to us.
So imagine my frustration when I see multiple news outlets report that the book of Genesis has been rewritten to replace every instance of the word “God,” with “Kanye.” Yes, Kanye, as in Kanye West the rapper who has had his fair share of controversies when it comes to how he treats religion. It is incredibly blasphemous. The book is titled “The Book of Yeezus.” I know what you’re thinking: He couldn’t possibly have the audacity to do that? That question cannot be answered right now, because West hasn’t publicly acknowledge the book.
The Book of Yeezus is being sold by Channel222 on Etsy, and in the description it states:
“What if the Bible, the most singularly significant publication in the ancient canon of Western tradition, were updated to reflect our modern society? What would it look like?”
It also says:
“At its simplest, it is the book of Genesis, modified to feature ‘Kanye’ or ‘Yeezus’ in the place of God or Y—A. ‘In the beginning Kanye created the heaven and the earth… And Kanye said, Let there be light: and there was light.’”
It stings knowing that news of it released on Resurrection Sunday of all days! It also hurts because I know just how much of a hold that the hip-hop world has on the younger generation. Even I myself am a part of that culture. Sure, hip-hop might have urban overtones, but it’s not just the urban youth who are impacted by this.
Hip-hop has a worldwide reach.
I cringe at the thought of some young teen picking up that book and reading it with every mention of our creator replaced with a person like Kanye who seems to care mostly about himself and has been known to disrespect God on a number of occasions. Yes, he wrote “Jesus Walks,” and I honestly have no problems with that song, but that’s just one song. Nothing else he’s done has convinced me to have an ounce of faith that he walks with Christ.
When it comes to the creators of this book, they are fools. They think this is a joke, and that this is a “cultural phenomenon.” This is not a game. They have made a mockery of the word of God. I just hope God will have mercy on them.
I’ll end this by quoting the real Bible.
“If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless.” James 1:26
Kanye claims to be very religious, but his actions, and words, are saying otherwise. Actions conflicting with words render it all worthless.
Posted in , ,

Mike Pyatt

Michael Pyatt Jr is a young, laid back, Christian from Washington, DC. His pleasures in life include his family, friends, his church, and spending time with God. While Michael seems to have a lot of knowledge in a lot of areas, the two areas where he shows the most passion is music, and sports. When he's not focusing on work, and studying IT at the University of the District of Columbia, he likes producing musical tracks. While his music may be mainly hip-hop, he doesn't mind creating other types of music.

1. Maddie on April 7, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Wha-How is this even….what. Christianity is the biggest religion in the world. How is it even legal to do this?

• Tristan on April 7, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Religious freedom. He’s not burning them or anything, just trying to fuel his monster ego.

• Daniel Rodrigues-Martin on April 8, 2015 at 5:09 am

Older translations of the Bible are public domain and can be legally altered in any way and printed by those who care to do so.

More recent translations, like the NIV, are copy written and cannot be legally altered or printed by anyone but the copyright owner: Zondervan.

D

2. Hunter Ficarra on April 7, 2015 at 7:58 pm

It’s kinda lame that this is directed at Kanye. He might take things a little far sometimes, but this isn’t created by him, and I doubt he’d really support it that much. If anything he’d just find it funny. I would if I was him. It might be blasphemous but if this was a book about me, I’d buy a copy just cuz it’s funny.. But it is lame someone is selling this..

• Mike Pyatt on April 7, 2015 at 11:52 pm

I agree with your statements… That’s why in the article it was stated, “I know what you’re thinking: He couldn’t possibly have the audacity to do that? That question cannot be answered right now, because West hasn’t publicly acknowledge the book.” That being said, I wouldn’t put it pass him because of his past actions. For example, the time he posed on the cover of Rolling Stone with the crown of thorns and the headline, “The Passion of Kanye West” But like I said, you’re right. I can’t, and haven’t blame him for this.

• Hunter Ficarra on April 9, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I know he says in the article Kanye hasn’t addressed it. But the article still feels directed at Kanye. Even if he is in the wrong he’s still technicAly a brother, just going through it. I don’t like how happy Christian are to jump at other Christians, even if they do mess up a lot. And we should be praying for them, and not the ‘I’m praying for him cuz he’s the devil’ kind of pray.

• Mike Pyatt on April 9, 2015 at 2:29 pm

The he, is me, and I wasn’t attacking Kanye. No, what I was doing was pointing out reasons the release of this book was ridiculous, and I also briefly mentioned how Kanye has done things in the past that make you question his faith. In the article, I even gave him a little props for Jesus Walks. Again, I have no problem with that song, it was a good and honest song from him in my opinion. But something changed in him after that song was released. The “Jesus Walks” Kanye West and today’s Kanye West are two different Kanye’s.

Also, another crucial point of the article is the impact that this book can have on the hip-hop culture. That is an area where a lot of people could be easily influenced, and this “Book of Yeezus” could sway minds.

So not only do I agree with you that we should pray Kanye, we also need to pray for the hip-hop culture in general.

• Hunter Ficarra on April 9, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I feel you haha. I’ve honestly never listened to Kanye outside of his newest album, but his song I Am a God is pretty good. It talks quite a bit about a relationship with God/Jesus, but of course no one tries to actually listen to what the songs about cuz the name.. But honestly I don’t think Kanye or really any ‘Christian celebrity’ will ever be the Christian we want them to be for the same reason I think a lot of them have stopped trying to be christian, they will never have Christians backing them up. Sure they will have select Christians really routing for them to make it, but today’s Christians will never fully support them. Hell Christians don’t even support Christians half the time. I kinda respect Kanye and other celebs who still try to be christian while Christians hate on them, if I were them I’d be like whatever I tried but if the people of your god don’t want me then fine.. I’ve had my faith lessen cuz of the way I see Christians treat each other. One of my favorite christian artists says *the n-word in a song and Rapzilla posts it and almost every comment telling him he’s not a true christian and saying rapzilla pretty much sinning for posting that. My pastor who I’ve been frI ends with for years wanted help moVing stuff, I told him I got a tattoo earlier that day and he said he didn’t need my help anymore cuz he didn’t agree. I don’t think we’ll impact the world as much as we should until Christians realize we’re just as shitty as everyone else. There was really no standards for a Christian in bible time, most of the big bible guys had multiple wifes, slept with other woman, and so on

• Mike Pyatt on April 10, 2015 at 1:25 am

For some reason I can’t reply to your comment Hunter, but I do agree with what you’re saying. That’s why I tried to make sure I wasn’t attacking Kanye in the article, espcially since I know that he’s conflicted in his walk right now. Things kind of changed when his mother passed. That can mess with the most normal person, so I can’t imagine how it can mess with a superstar.

But you’re so right. A lot of Christians, myself included, sometimes tend to “go ham”, for the lack of a better term, on people when they are upset or don’t fully understand what they are talking about.

As for your pastor burning you for your tattoo, that’s not cool at all. That’s really bad.

God bless you bro.

3. Monique on April 6, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Kanye West is not someone people should take serious.

4. Jon Hill on April 6, 2015 at 10:35 pm

I know Kanye didn’t commission this book himself, but honestly, it wouldn’t shock me if he had a version made of all 66 books of the bible… he’d probably call it the NYV… the New ‘Ye Version… either way, it’s crazy sacrilegious.

5. Daniel Rodrigues-Martin on April 6, 2015 at 10:23 pm