Nice Christians Need To Man Up!

At what point in the Bible are we told to be pushovers? Too many Christian men and women alike have taken the “turn the other cheek” philosophy too far–to the point where they don’t even speak up when someone is wrong. We have a culture of apathetic, pushover Christians, and it makes little sense. When was Jesus a pushover?
I am seriously asking that. Do you think Jesus was crucified for going around and being nice to people? No! Jesus was shaking up the status quo and standing firm on the truth. Jesus came to bring peace–no doubt about that–but peace as it is stated in John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. – John 14:27
The world’s peace is everyone accepting each other and their different beliefs, lifestyles, and choices. Jesus was into tough love and giving the hard truth. He never beat around the bush and hoped not to offend people. He told people as it was. When He said “follow me,” He literally meant for others to follow him. He didn’t accept excuses about why you couldn’t at the moment, or that maybe you’d think it over a few years before deciding (Matthew 9:9; Matthew 4:19-25; Luke 5:27-33).
What did Jesus do when people were turning the house of God into something else? Jesus drove them all out and flipped their tables (Matthew 21:12). Certainly not the most “Christian” thing He could do, eh? We need to remember that this is the same God who only has one way to Heaven. Not multiple paths. No excuses will work. You either follow Christ or you don’t.

grovenediger-359483_1920

Christ sure sounds like he is inconsiderate of people. What if they were raised Catholic? Don’t care, no excuses. So why do we act like it is okay when someone is homosexual, a habitual liar, or anything else. We are to forgive and forget. However, we are not to be pushovers. We accept people as they are and no person is perfect, but enough of this “nice guy” business. We need to stand up for the word of God. When the world goes on the attack, we need to be prepared to defend our stance. We need to know the Word of God and be in it everyday. Otherwise we are susceptible to attacks from the enemy.
What is going to happen when someone asks you about Genesis and how the world began? Will you have an answer?
What about when someone brings up supposed contradictions in the Bible? Do you know what they are talking about?
What about when someone says everyone’s truth is right: What is true for them is true, and what is true for you is true? Are they right?
We are to be loving, forgiving, knowledgeable, and firm in our stances. Like Building 429 sang so beautifully “We won’t be shaken.” Our foundation is Christ. Our houses shall be built on rock–the never-changing Word of God, not the always-changing view of mankind (a.k.a. the house built on sand). (Matthew 7:24-27)
Stop it. Stop being a pushover. Stop letting the world convince you sin is OK when it is not. Be fed up with it. Do something about it. Quietly protesting gets you nowhere and does nothing. We all need to “man up.”

What do you think? Do we need to “man up”? Let us know in the comments below.

Wesley Wood

Wesley Wood is an aspiring film director. He would love to make GOOD films to help spread God's word and help Christians grow.

1. Lucy on August 10, 2020 at 12:05 am

This was great!! I needed this! Do not be the bridge to sin by being a pushover! You are doing the opposite of Jesus’s work. God is not going to like it when you say you were afraid to say “no” when you are only supposed to fear him.

2. MB on May 6, 2015 at 1:10 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Daniel 🙂 There’s certainly some good arguments for both sides of the debate and I don’t feel the need for a straight yes or no answer. Richard Morgan’s case is indeed a stand out public example with all the various exceptions you have mentioned. What interests me is how God can reach people, even through a medium that is so hostile to Christians.

I was doing a bit of research yesterday and was surprised by the number of online outreach ministries. Global Media Outreach was one that caught my attention. From their point of view a lot of people turn to the internet and online forums for support and answers to the big questions in life, and they want to be there to provide them.

3. Daniel Rodrigues-Martin on May 3, 2015 at 9:37 pm

“Man up” isn’t the phraseology I’d use, as it could be construed as derogatory, mostly toward women who would prefer to be women, not men, while still being faithful and courageous. But having an answer to give to those who ask? Certainly. There are patterns for this behavior and commands for it in the NT.

I think we should encourage people to be more Biblically literate so that they can engage with questions. A lot of folks simply aren’t. They may be struggling with lack of competency. I have found this, largely, to be an issue with church leadership staffs. They don’t have a teaching curriculum. They’re not facilitating study other than during the weekly sermon. Jesus sent the disciples out among wolves, but they were under the direct tutelage of the master. So many Christians don’t know doctrine, let alone a more specialized topic like church history, or ministering among a particular people group or religion. In that case, it’s better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

One problematic issue in conversing is that our culture is so polarized. People have lost the ability to have civil discourse, and the anonymity of the internet goads people into saying and doing things they’d never have the courage to say or do to someone’s face. People are turning more and more to reddit or internet forums for advice and moral support.

I don’t think people should quit being too “nice” to engage with tough questions or people. Of course you seem to be using “nice” as a synonym for “agreeable.” You can be kind and disagreeable, but it’s a rare skill these days.

D

• MB on May 4, 2015 at 8:29 am

Do you think that’s where we (Christians) need to be then? On internet forums? My friend and I were discussing sharing the gospel in face-to-face settings versus online. We didn’t come to any conclusion as such but there are benefits and disadvantages of each. For example, I’ve been criticised online for my faith and some may argue that’s more likely with the anonymity the internet provides. On the other hand this online settings gave me more time to think and pray before I responded.

• Charlie on May 4, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I agree with you. MB. I think a face to face conversation about the truth of Christ is better because the ability for the other person to outright mock and shut you down is not there unlike online. However, you often have more time to respond online. Either way though I have come across people who want to discuss these topics but not really change. That’s a factor we can’t control but we can still control our actions and no matter what the setting, we need to stand up for our Lord. We can’t convert them-that’s God’s job-but we can certainly reveal to them his light through us.

• Wesley Wood on May 4, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Face to face communication is easily the most effective.

• MB on May 4, 2015 at 11:17 pm

Yes that’s true. Very few people would say the things they do in real life that they do on internet forums.

It is almost a relief at times to know that the Holy Spirit will work in people and we don’t have to convert them. But as you say we are a light and while face-to-face is better (I agree Wesley) it is still important to stick to God’s truth and be prepared to give an answer.

• Daniel Rodrigues-Martin on May 5, 2015 at 1:28 am

How many people do you know who have come to Christ by being witnessed to on a forum? If the answer is “none,” you be answering your own question.

I actually think the opposite is the case. Polarization comes from *lack* of human contact. It’s easy to yell at a digital projection of a person, or a person’s thoughts. There is something intrinsically empathizing about being with people. About actually talking to them.

I find a forum is not a good place for those sorts of discussion, as the public nature of communicating by that method naturally lends itself to 10,000 tangents and any and all people injecting themselves into the conversation with their red herrings and their straw men and their dollar store skepticism. I think if you’re going to communicate at length online regarding spiritual matters, an E-Mail or private message is going to be the better bet, but ultimately, you’re going to want to point a person toward a living, breathing congregation.

I think instead it’s better to be like Christ at the well in John 4. Meet people where they are in real life. Friendliness toward strangers is a lost art in this digital age.

DM

• MB on May 5, 2015 at 8:55 am

Apologies if this is a double up. Having a few technical difficulties.

I do know of one actually haha. His name is Richrd Morgan. He was an atheist and active participant on Richard Dawkin’s website but came to Christ through the witness of a Christian on the forum. I encourage anyone interested to look up his story.

While I do agree with your argument Daniel I still wonder if Christians should be present and public on internet forums, particularly in light of stories like Morgan’s.

• Daniel Rodrigues-Martin on May 5, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Forgive me: I meant how many do you know *personally*? Knowing of a somewhat high-profile case like Richard Morgan’s is great. But if that’s what you’re citing, I could just as easily say I know of someone who came to faith that way. But speaking personally, I don’t know anyone who has, and it looks like you don’t, either.

Morgan’s story is instructive for a few reasons. Note that David Robertson, the man who can perhaps be credited with his conversion, is both an author and an apologist, not some random dude cruising forums. Note that David Robertson *went to Richard Dawkins’s website* to address attacks against his book in an incredibly hostile environment. Note that he did it consistently over a period of time. Note that he probably took more flak than you and I put together could handle, from some people who held Doctoral degrees.

In circumstances like that, there’s actually a danger to you, too. What David Robertson did, only David Robertson could do. Any Christian can show love and integrity, and every Christian should, even when in hostile situations. But Robertson showed more than that. He showed intellectual competence. A grasp of his topic, and a deep understanding of the worldview of that particular “mission field.”

Morgan’s story is great, but it’s by far the exception, not the rule.

I’d reckon far more people are coming to Christ through the ministries of local churches and local Christians than through scenarios like Richard Morgan’s. If you’re able to make a connection online, great! Go with it! But never do so at the detriment of the people near you, and recognize that a lot of times, when you’re dealing with people online, you’re either preaching to the choir or taking down straw-men scarecrows.

My source for the information here: http://whyimcatholic.com/index.php/conversion-stories/atheist-converts/155-atheist-convert-richard-morgan

D